For the purpose of getting caught up we do not recommend entering each itemized expense into Boulevard, rather entering the totals for each category by month. When finished, you'll have an accounting of your expense categories needed for year-end tax purposes on the Annual Expense report. (As with anything tax-related, always keep your original documentation.)
Organizing Your Receipts
- Begin by grouping the receipts by month.
- When finished, sort each month into the applicable tax categories (you'll want to refer to your accountant).
- Using a calculator, add each category for each month.
Entering into Expenses
- From the Shortcuts form, click Expenses.
Tip: To view a running list of the entries, from the Filter side bar set the Date Range to include the corresponding month of the items being entered.
- From the tool bar, click .
- In the Memo and Pay To fields enter the Month Expenses (such as January Expenses).
- From the Category field drop-down list, choose the appropriate category.
- Under the Date field enter a date that falls within the month you are recording (such as 7/1/2016 for July 2016).
- Enter the amount calculated from the steps above in the Amount field.
- Click Save and New and repeat steps 3 through 6 until finished with all expenses.
Tip: If any of the expenses to be entered are recurring, see Create, Edit or Delete a Recurring Expense to enter all past entries at one time.