Learn about common issues and solutions to troubleshoot PDFs that won't open.
Adobe releases regular security updates for Reader and Acrobat. The latest update patch frequently fixes conflicts with your system.
- Open Reader or Acrobat.
- Choose Help, then Check for Updates.
- If the Updater dialog box appears, click Yes. The update will automatically install.
- Restart your computer.
Using the Control Panel:
Reader or Acrobat, or the resources they rely on, could be damaged. Repairing the installation is a quick troubleshooting safeguard.
- Close Reader or Acrobat.
- Windows 7: Choose Start, then Control Panel.
Windows 8: On the taskbar, right-click the Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Open the Control Panel and click Programs, and then Programs and Features.
- In the list of programs, select Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.
- Click Change and follow the instructions to repair the application.
- When the process is complete, click Finish.
Within Reader or Acrobat:
- Choose Help, then Repair Installation.
Uninstall & Reinstall
Reinstalling Acrobat or Reader is a two-step process. First uninstall the app, and then reinstall the latest version.
- To uninstall Acrobat DC or Acrobat Reader DC, see Uninstall Creative Cloud apps.
- For earlier versions of Acrobat and Reader, see Uninstall Reader or Acrobat for Windows.
- For Acrobat DC, see Download and install Creative Cloud apps.
- For Reader DC, see Download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader DC for Windows or Mac.
Ensure that your OS recognizes the PDF
Your system may not be set up to automatically open PDFs from the desktop with Reader or Acrobat.
- Right-click on the PDF, and then choose Open with, then Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat in the list of programs.
- Windows 7 and earlier: Select Always use the selected program to open this kind of file, then click OK.
- Click the PDF file's icon in the Finder to select it.
- Choose File, then Get Info.
- Click the triangle next to Open With, and choose Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat from the pop-up list (if your preference is not on the list, choose Other to select it).
- Click Change All.
|Symptom or Error||Solution|
|Can't view a PDF in a web browser, or the PDF opens outside the browser.||View Article|
||For Mac Os|
|Installation starts but a frozen cursor, frozen screen, or an error message interrupts startup.|
|Error: The file is damaged and could not be repaired.||View Forum Post|