You can create an item and set various options such as no inventory tracking, or even set a fixed price or save it as 0.00, then charge the item's cost when sold. Creating an item as mentioned allows you to handle situations where you want to add a separate amount for gift-wrapping or other material.
Note: Gift Certificates have an added setting that must be enabled to be handled properly. Please see Handling Gift Certificates or Vouchers for more information.
- From the product list toolbar, click New, then select Product.
- Assign the item a Part number and give it a Description.
In the example used, to create a gift wrapping item, you could enter GIFTWRAP for the part number and Gift-wrapped for the description.
- From the Category list drop-down, select the category where you want the item located (or create a new, custom category).
- In the Retail/Cost field, enter an amount if you charge a set amount, otherwise leave it with a zero value to add the amount at the time of sale, directly to the invoice.
- Select the No Inventory checkbox to mark the item for no inventory tracking.
- If the item is a Gift Certificate, un-check the taxable option, then select Gift Certificate.
- From the product profile toolbar, click Save.
Note: You'll also want to check the laws in your area before selecting the Taxable option to ensure you are in compliance, see Helpful Sales Tax Information.