You can create an item and set various options such as no inventory tracking, or even set a fixed price or save it as 0.00, then charge the item's cost when sold. Creating an item, as mentioned, allows you to handle situations where you want to add a separate amount for gift-wrapping or other material.
Note: If the product profile is a gift certificate, to handle them properly, uncheck the Taxable option as they are not taxable, then select the Gift Certificate option. Please see Handling Gift Certificates or Vouchers for more information.
- From the product list toolbar, click New, then select Product.
- Assign the item a Part number and give it a Description.
In the example used, to create a gift-wrapping item, you could enter GIFTWRAP for the part number and Gift-wrapped for the description.
- From the Category list drop-down, select the category where you want the item located (or create a new, custom category).
- In the Retail/Cost field, enter an amount if you charge a set amount; otherwise, leave it with a zero value to add the amount at the time of the sale on the invoice.
- Select the No Inventory checkbox to mark the item for no inventory tracking.
- If the item is a Gift Certificate, uncheck the taxable option, then select Gift Certificate.
- From the product profile toolbar, click Save.
Note: You'll also want to check the laws in your area before selecting the Taxable option to ensure you are in compliance; see Helpful Sales Tax Information.